This vacancy has now expired. Please see similar roles below...
Function: Coating and Insulation Engineer
Scope of activities
The Coating and Insulation engineer is part of the material specialists support group of the mechanical department and is responsible for the selections of coatings and insulation systems applied on Fluor projects. He/she is part of Fluor’s Global coating and insulation subject matter expert network and provides his/her direct support to Fluor’s EMEA offices.
The work includes the selection and specification of coating and insulation requirements for all types of mechanical- and piping equipment, such as; pressure vessels, tanks, fired heaters, pipelines, instruments and valves, structural steel, concrete basins and buried items. The types of coating and insulation include; systems for protection to corrosion under insulation, thermal spray metallic coatings, fire proofing, thermal radiation protection, temperature indicative coatings and plastic liners.
To determine the project requirements the Coating and Insulation engineer works in close cooperation with other disciplines’ engineers for: corrosion, cathodic protection, noise, civil-architectural and HSE, as well as aligns with the Client specialists/ counterparts when required. It is his/her responsibility to manage these project specific requirements and communicate them to all downstream engineering disciplines (i.e. mechanical, piping, civil-structural, instrumentation, electrical and contracts), by writing of project specifications or amendments to Client or Licensor requirements. He/she assists the engineers in preparing and reviewing of the design documents and technical contract requisitions.
Outside the engineering team, the Coating and Insulation engineer is directly involved in the fabrication and construction activities. This work involves reviewing of contractors and applicators procedures, approving brand selections, steering the quality control activities and participating in fabrication meetings (i.e. pre-inspection and progress meetings). He/she is continuously interfacing with Fluor’s supplier quality surveillance and construction quality organizations and maintains a network of coating and insulation materials manufacturers.
For coatings and insulation, the value and guarantees projects stand accountable for is high, and for this reason this position is considered a key function for Fluor’s strategy to excellence in execution.
• Selection of Coating and Insulation systems
• Evaluate and advise of best available techniques
• Consult with Clients and third parties.
• Writing and reviewing of coating & insulation requirements
• Advise and assists in
o Preparing coating & insulation cost estimates
o Developing of technical requisitions and contracts
o Managing of applicators and contractors on quality, cost and schedule
o Defining the inspection needs
o Supervising and inspection of the work
Basic Job Requirements
• Min. 10 years in engineering and design contractor experience or similar construction, operational, coating developer or applicator experience
• Supervising experience
• Handling complex matters related to coating and insulation for industrial chemical- and petrochemical projects
• Affinity with Engineering
• Minimum BSc in Chemical Engineering, Material Engineering or equivalent
• NACE Coating specialist (Advanced) or equivalent
• Willingness to travel
• Good English verbal and writing skills
• Independent self-performing working skills
• Able to serve multiple projects simultaneously
• Good knowledge of Codes and standards
• Able to gather information from literature or supplier network
Other Job Requirements
• Coating Inspector Level I, II or III
• Cathodic Protection Level I, II or III
• Knowledge of plastics and elastomers
• Active in a relevant industry workgroup
• Decision making skills
• Multidisciplinary focus
+31 (0)23 543 3131
Our latest jobs
Ciudad de México
£65-75k per annum
Lake Charles, LA
Based on current contracting rates
19 February 2020
07 February 2020