Job Title: Senior Dams Engineer
Salary: Market related
Contract/ Perm: Perm
The Senior Dams Engineer will be responsible for design and related studies of dams and hydropower projects. He/She will establish, mentor and lead the integrated design team, responsible for coordinating and supervising all of the inputs by the team and relevant specialists.
• Undertake conceptual and detailed design, constructability, economic and financial evaluations of all associated projects, along with ensuring compliance with relevant national and international guidelines for dams.
• Close collaboration with other technical divisions to implement dams and water related projects.
• To provide sound engineering advice to the Chief Dams Engineer on dam related risks and on matters relating to the performance and structural integrity of dam assets.
• Must be prepared and free to travel extensively both within South Africa and within the African Continent to manage projects and engage in client and other meetings.
• Occasional travel off the African continent is also required.
• Actively seek out and generate new ideas and improvements.
• Establish rapport and build strong and trusted relationships.
• Display strong interpersonal awareness and insight.
• Confidently and independently take actions to progress tasks.
• Anticipate risks and assess critically and develop long term plans to mitigate.
• Recognise the benefits of change and agility.
• Provision of detailed technical advice on the design and construction of dams and associated works.
• Can prepare or interpret complex technical drawings, standards and specifications.
• Apply advanced understanding of works processes, materials, products, plant and equipment, and their uses.
• Demonstrate detailed knowledge of service, condition and performance standards.
• Demonstrate advanced knowledge of design principles (e.g. structural, geotechnical, hydrological, mechanical and hydraulic).
• Analyse detailed data and information to produce business intelligence.
• Undertake and review dam and associated works designs.
• Developing concept options, detailed design, constructability, cost estimation and provide construction supervision support.
• Review, interpret, analysis and presentation of dams and associated works related design and monitoring data.
• Keep up to date with best practice in engineering and risk management related to dams and associated works.
• Provide support, guidance and mentorship to a team of dams and water engineers.
• Client liaison, liaison with authorities, internal and external project management, technical design and review of all dams types.
• Technical input into tender submissions and proposals.
• B.Eng Civil (or similar)
• Professionally Registered with ECSA
• Preference will be given to Approved | Professional Persons (APP’s as per DWA’s | list)
• Valid driving licence
• Minimum of 20 years’ experience in the field of dam and hydroelectric projects from feasibility stage, detailed design and tender documents to construction stage, assistance to developers and supervision of works.
• Preferably with understanding and experience on South African dam safety legislation.
• Design and construction of dams and hydropower projects
Planning and /organizing work
• Team Player
• Technically astute
• Problem solving
• Leading and mentoring mid-level staff
• Client interaction
• Data analysis, problem-solving, and management skills
• Good Communication skills
• Preparation of a broad range of dams and associated works related reports,
• Application of risk management practices appropriate for dams and associated works,
• Participate on multidisciplinary teams on civil, structural, and geotechnical engineering projects in an office environment as well as in a virtual team environment,
• Self Aware
• Project Management
• Technical lead for hydraulic, hydrologic, or structural design related to dams, reservoirs and associated structures
• Strong organizational skills, multi-tasking ability
TRS Staffing does not discriminate on the grounds of age, race, gender, disability, creed or sexual orientation and complies with all relevant South African legislation. As per legislation, due consideration is given to previously disadvantaged individuals.
Our latest jobs
£17 per hour
South Alberta and Saskatchewan
£70-95k Per annum