United States Richmond
You are subscribed to our push notifications, but not currently for jobs like this.
Would you like to receive notifications for jobs like this as well?
Great news! You are subscribed to receive alerts for jobs similar to this one.
This vacancy has now expired. Please see similar roles below...
We currently seek a high caliber Waste Engineer for a long-term basis within our client’s team of experienced professionals. Based in Richmond, KY.
Do you want to be a part of history and help make the world a little bit safer? Join us at BGCAPP (Blue Grass Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant) where we will design, build, systemize, test, operate and close the plant whose mission is the safe and environmentally sound destruction of the chemical weapons stockpile stored at the Blue Grass Army Depot (BGAD) in Richmond, KY. The 15,000 acre depot stores mustard and nerve agent in rockets and projectiles. Our design concept for the pilot plant maximizes the use of existing technology from other successful chemical demilitarization facilities as well as First of a Kind (FOAK) technology. Our client is currently seeking a WASTE ENGINEER.
This position will safely, compliantly, and efficiently manage hazardous and non-hazardous waste generated during the systemization, operations and closure phases of the Blue Grass Chemical Agent Destruction Pilot Plant (BGCAPP). Cradle to grave management of wastes includes characterization, collection/accumulation, containerization, storage, packing, labeling, and shipping of BGCAPP generated waste to the appropriate treatment/disposal facility. The position is also responsible for hazardous materials tracking to provide reporting data for EPCRA. The Waste Engineer is the primary backup for the Waste Manager.
• Exemplify BGCAPP safety culture by working safely, in accordance with established procedures, and by supporting a safe work environment.
• Actively promote BGCAPP safety culture and contribute to BGCAPP VPP star status through a proactive approach to personal safety and that of co-workers.
• Write/revise waste management and shipping procedures, desktop instructions, and operator aids.
• Assist in drafting scope statement for hazardous waste treatment and disposal subcontracts and serve as a contract technical representative for any awarded subcontractor. Audit such facilities as necessary.
• Create, update and maintain hazardous and non-hazardous waste profiles for BGCAPP and off-site facilities.
• Perform waste evaluation/characterizations and determine proper packaging and labeling requirements for storage, transportation, and disposal.
• Determine analytical testing required for waste evaluations as appropriate.
• Works closely with the project environmental department and provide support on project environmental issues (e.g. review regulations, permit issues, procedures, and other documents, providing input as appropriate).
• Implement hazardous waste management/tracking software purchased for BGCAPP project use.
• Oversee Operation of hazardous waste, universal waste and non-hazardous waste accumulation and storage areas (satellite, permitted and 90 day) in compliance with BGCAPP permits, 40 CFR, 49 CFR, 29 CFR, AR 200-1, BGAD R 200-1.
• Maintain adequate inventory of supplies containers for waste storage, spill kits/supplies and appropriate fire suppression/PPE/eyewash supplies for waste Storage and accumulation areas.
• Hazardous Materials
• Collect input from site departments on hazardous materials usage for EPCRA reporting.
• Other duties, as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in environmental engineering, science, or related field
• At least five (5) years of experience in environmental waste management programs regarding hazardous waste management, solid waste management, and auditing of environmental programs, preferably in a treatment, storage and disposal facility (TSDF) or demilitarization facility, chemical plant, nuclear or fossil power generating station, naval or maritime station, or other heavy industry.
• Demonstrated oral, written and interpersonal communications skills.
• Flexibility to respond to urgent project requests and/or changing priorities.
• Demonstrated knowledge of RCRA. Knowledge of Kentucky hazardous waste regulations (KAR/KRS) preferred.
• Knowledge of Department of Transportation (DOT) placard, packaging, and waste transportation regulations (e.g. 49 CFR) preferred.
• Principles, practices, and techniques of environmental protection
• Hazardous waste and/or material handling, storage, labeling, and disposal requirements of various federal, State, and local agencies
• Water pollution prevention concepts of various federal, State, and local agencies
• Air pollution prevention requirements of various federal, State, and local agencies
• Oil and hazardous substance contingency planning concepts and oil pollution prevention requirements of various federal, State, and local agencies
• HAZ MAT certification and experience preferred.
Special Job Requirements
BGCAPP is subject to the Army Regulations (AR 50-6 Chemical Surety and AR 190-59 Chemical Agent Security Program) which govern persons performing work under the Chemical Personnel Reliability Program (CPRP) and Unescorted Access Program (UAP). Depending on the work performed and the access granted a government security investigation and other physical requirements may be mandated. Eligibility to be placed in a CPRP or UAP position requires US citizenship and the ability to successfully complete a National Agency Check with Local Credit Check. (NACLC).
BGCAPP is a Drug Free Workplace. All employees are subject to and agree to random drug and alcohol testing as a condition of continued employment for the duration of their assignment.
This position may also require use of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and personnel must pass a respirator fit test and pulmonary function test.
Lifting/Carrying: Occasionally, up to 50 lbs. Climbing: Occasionally. Bending/Kneeling: Occasionally. Sitting: Infrequent.
Walking/Standing: Frequently. Hearing: Able to hear audible alarms. Vision: Able to see/read/understand warning lights/signs.
Ability to obtain and maintain Blue Grass Army Depot (BGAD) site access is required. Access requirements include completion of a local records check and National Crime Information Center (NCIC) check.
BGCAPP operates on a 24/7 schedule including weekends and holidays. Ability to work a flexible schedule may be required.
Employment Type: DIRECT
Location of Position: Richmond, KY
Location Type: Onsite
TRS Staffing Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. Employment decisions are based on job related criteria and not on the basis of any unlawful criteria. We ensure equal access to employment opportunities, services, and programs.
Must have legal right to work in the United States. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by governing law.
Our latest jobs
₹ 800000 - ₹ 1200000
$ 25 Per Hour
United States Mount Vernon
CA$ 100000 - CA$ 130000
Netherlands Europoort Rotterdam
Netherlands Amsterdam area
22 September 2023